How Do I Know If My Pet Has Rodenticide Toxicity?

Fotolia_45057568_M-900With the cold weather upon us, many other four-legged friends such as mice are taking up refuge in our houses trying to keep warm.  In order to control this problem, many happen to go to our local hardware store and put out rodenticides.  Unfortunately, several of our curious pets may venture upon the “mouse bait” and ingest it.  This can cause serious problems which can include death if not noticed and proper treatment received.

There are several different rodenticides such as anticoagulants, bromethalin, and cholecalciferol that are used and they all attack different body systems.  So it is important to know the active ingredient so that proper treatment can be implemented.

Signs of rodenticide toxicity do not show up for several days and sometimes are very subtle and unrecognized.  The most common sign may be bloody saliva in your pets water bowl.  If you suspect that your pet has ingested the poison, it is best to seek medical attention as soon as possible.  Take the poison box with you.  That way the veterinarian can see which product has been ingested and proper medications will be given.  Your veterinarian will want to induce vomiting as soon as possible, including giving activated charcoal to reduce the absorption of it in the stomach.  Other products such as Vitamin K, or lasix may be giving depending on the poison.  Bloodwork and a urinalysis will be done to assist the veterinarian with the diagnosis and prognosis.

A quick and easy recipe to use for getting your dog to vomit would be to give your dog one to two slices of white bread and then give a mixture that consists of  3 tablespoons of Hydrogen Peroxide, and 1 tablespoon of peanut butter.  Wait 10 minutes to see if your pet vomits.  If it doesn’t repeat it again.

As the old adage says, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. It really holds true here.  To create a safer environment for your pet, prevent access to areas where you lay poisons for mice.  Keep garage doors shut, cabinets closed, and lock the basement.  Never put poison outside near your dog’s run, and should you find dead rodents, remove them immediately.  Ingesting a poisoned mouse can be just as toxic as eating the poison from the trap.

If you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to contact our office.