Garden Safety Tips For Your Pet

pesticide-free-garden-for-dogsSpring is a time for several chores like planting and caring for your garden and spring cleaning. But we as pet owner’s must be aware that several of the plants, household cleaners, insecticides and other items can cause toxicity to our furry friends.

There are several plants that can cause toxicity to your pet from ingestion. Among these are onions, grapes, mushrooms, dieffenbachia, daffodils, azaleas, and tulips to name a few. Clinical signs range from hypersailivation, vomiting and gastric upset to possible kidney, liver or neurological and possibly death.

Insecticides that we spray on our yards or place on our pets can be toxic. Some flea medications that contain pyrethrins, especially those labelled for dog use only can be toxic to cats. These clinical signs can include hypersalivation, siezures and eventual death. So please make sure that the flea controls are safe for use on your pet before using. If your pet is showing some signs of toxicity from these, it is best to immediately wash the pet off completely with something like “Dawn” dish soap and call your veterinarian immediately.

Household cleaners can cause some irritation and toxicity to your pets. Many owners are not aware that some come surface kitchen and bath cleaners, rug cleaners, toilet bowl cleaners and even some laundry detergents can be harmful. Symptons can include profuse salivation,difficulty breathing, vomiting and organ damage. After cleaning your home, make sure that all residues are wiped up and the areas completely dried.

It is best to keep your four-legged friends safe from these poisons. If you think that your pet has ingested something harmful, it is best to call your veterinarian or the pet poison helpline at 1-800-213-6680.